![]()
![]() The increase in the price of the carnet from $5.65 to $30 per person, the increment was announced without any explanation from the authorities. -A.M. Costa Rica wire services photo- |
||
![]() |
Published Monday, August 31, 2020 Whale
watching tour carnet
could be suspended By the A.M. Costa Rica staff The Costa Rican Institute of Fisheries and Aquaculture, Incopesca, announced this weekend that the payment of a so-called carnet or licenses to allow tourists to book a whale watching tour could be suspended. Last week, the institute had announced the so-called carnet cost of $30 per person as a requirement to hire whale watching tours on the Pacific Coast. But, on Friday, the institute announced that it will consider postpone charging for the carnet. This announcement was in response to the claims by the Chamber of Tourism and other organizations in the tourism sector, due to the increase in the price of the carnet from $5.65 to $30 per person, the increment was announced without any explanation from the authorities. "We understand the economic impact of all sectors, especially coastal communities, so we see an opportunity to analyze a moratorium for this 2020 of the collection of the carnet," said Daniel Carrasco Sánchez, President of Incopesca. According to the National Chamber of Tourism, CANATUR, the government is not having consistency in reopening measures for tourism. According to the organization, the requirement to have a whale watching carnet should be eliminated. "We have a very serious crisis and we must simplify as much as possible,” said Rubén Acón, president of CANATUR. “At the beginning of the whale watching season a requirement of these conditions for these people (referring to tour operators) this can be their first income after several months of inactivity.” What other excessive costs in tourist services should the government reduce? We would like to know your thoughts on this story. Send your comments to news@amcostarica.com |
|
|
|
![]() |