![]()
![]() ![]() ![]()
|
||||
|
Published on
Wednesday, August 19, 2026
By the A.M. Costa Rica staff
A 12-year-old U.S.
citizen is in serious condition in the
intensive care unit at the National
Children’s Hospital in San José after
surviving a fall from a window of the
apartment where he lives with his family
on the 12th floor of a residential
building complex.
According to
statements made to the press by hospital
director Dr. Carlos Jiménez, the boy has
been in the intensive care unit since
Tuesday, receiving mechanical
ventilation and medication to keep him
stable. The Red Cross
responded to an emergency call at about
1:30 p.m. Tuesday reporting that the boy
had fallen from a window of the family’s
apartment on the 12th floor. Rescuers arrived
at Tower B of the Torres Altamira
residential complex in the Rincón de
Sabanilla District of San Pablo Canton,
Heredia Province, with an advanced
life-support ambulance and an
operational vehicle. The rescuers found
the boy with vital signs but suffering
from multiple injuries and in serious
condition. He was urgently transported
to the nearest hospital, San Vicente de Paúl
Hospital in Heredia
Province.
The
transfer was carried out with support from
the San Pablo municipal police, who
organized traffic control and escorted the
ambulance to ensure it reached the hospital
without complications. The
municipality later posted a video of the
police escort operation on its social
media accounts.
Because
of the severity of his injuries, the boy was
later transferred with support from the San
José municipal police to the National
Children’s Hospital, where he is being
treated by doctors specializing in pediatric
care.
Jiménez
told reporters that it is a true miracle the
boy survived a fall from a height of
approximately 118 feet because he suffered
multiple injuries affecting practically
every part of his body.
Jiménez
said doctors will first carry out all
necessary procedures to stabilize the boy
before performing any surgical interventions
because of the severity of his injuries.
Officials from the National Children’s Welfare Agency, known as PANI, the government institution responsible for protecting the rights of children and adolescents, are investigating the circumstances that led to the accident and are providing support to the boy’s parents.
“PANI
prioritizes the physical and emotional
safety of every minor, regardless of
nationality or immigration status,” the
institution said.
Authorities
did not release the names of the boy or
his parents. They only reported that the
U.S. family had been living in Costa Rica
for more than a year.
The
U.S. Embassy says on its website
that if a U.S. citizen becomes ill or is
seriously injured abroad, a consular
officer can assist in locating appropriate
medical services and informing family
members or friends.
“If
necessary, a consular officer can also
assist in the transfer of funds from the
United States,” the Embassy said in its
statement. “However, payment of hospital
and other expenses is the responsibility
of the traveler.”
U.S.
authorities encourage Americans to obtain
travel insurance before traveling to Costa
Rica.
“Many
health insurance plans do not provide
coverage overseas. Those that provide
‘customary and reasonable’ hospital costs
abroad may not pay for your medical
evacuation back to the United States,
which can cost $10,000 and up depending on
your location and medical condition,” the
Embassy said in its statement.
Authorities
also noted that the Social Security
Medicare program does not provide
coverage for
hospital or medical costs outside the
United States.
U.S. authorities encourage citizens to check the State Department’s Travel Advisory website before planning to visit Costa Rica.
------------ What have you heard about expats having accidents while living in Costa Rica? We would like to know your thoughts on this story. Send your comments to news@amcostarica.com
|
||||