Real Estate  /  Rentals  /  Hotels  /  Professional Services Classifieds  / Garden  Restaurants / Tourism  / Culture & Lifestyle  /  Food   / Sports   / BusinessHealth /
Wild Costa Rica































Archive photo courtesy of the Judicial Investigation Organization (OIJ).

Costa Rica Removes Director Of Judicial Investigation Organization



You Might
Also Like




















































































Published on Tuesday, May 19, 2026
By the A.M. Costa Rica staff



The Supreme Court of Justice voted Monday to remove Randall Zúñiga-López as director of the Judicial Investigation Organization (OIJ), the country’s top criminal investigative agency with nationwide police authority.



The decision follows a disciplinary process in which Zúñiga was accused of serious misconduct, including the alleged failure to fulfill duties associated with his position, damage to the image of Costa Rica’s Judicial Branch and the alleged disclosure of confidential information.



“The decision is based on the investigation carried out by the Judicial Inspection Office under a disciplinary case related to the neglect of duties inherent to the position, harm to the image of the Judicial Branch and the disclosure of confidential information,” authorities said in a statement.




Visit our website: HomeCareCR.co




Zúñiga was investigated by the OIJ division responsible for overseeing the conduct of senior officials. Authorities said the investigation examined behavior allegedly incompatible with his responsibilities as director of one of the country’s most important criminal investigation institutions.



Officials also alleged that the investigation included the possibility that Zúñiga may have shared sensitive images and information connected to other criminal investigations with third parties.


Zúñiga was appointed to the position in August 2023 but had been suspended since October 2025 while the investigation was ongoing.






He has publicly denied all allegations in statements to the media, saying he is the victim of a political attack and digitally manipulated fabrications intended to damage his reputation.


In addition, Zúñiga is facing a separate case in a San José court in which three women accuse him of alleged sexual harassment.


Following Zúñiga’s removal, Michael Soto-Rojas will continue serving as head of the OIJ.


President Laura Fernández is expected to address Zúñiga’s suspension from office in the coming hours.



--------
What have you heard about the suspension of senior directors of crime investigation agencies in your country?
We would like to know your thoughts on this story. Send your comments to news@amcostarica.com




hotelrestaurant103017.jpg