Vol.19 No.805 Monday Edition, August 5, 2019 Fourth news page











....

According to minister, work on repair of 39 roads will begin Aug. 6 and will continue for the next five years.
/  Ministry of Transportation courtesy photo.



39 rural roads will be repaired with a $144 million
loan from Inter-American Development Bank



By the A.M. Costa Rica staff

Minister of Transportation Rodolfo Méndez-Mata announced Thursday the application of a $144 million loan from the Inter-American Development Bank to finance the Cantonal Road Network Program, which consists of roads repair in the rural area.

According to minister, work on repair of 39 roads will begin Aug. 6 and will continue for the next five years. The first roads that will be repaired are located in Guanacaste* and North Zone*, said the ministry.

"The first 14 roads to repair will be in charge of the construction company MECO with an investment of $5,486,171," said the ministry in its statement.

According to the projections of the ministry, before the end of the year, another company will be selected to be in charge of repairs for 10 more roads with an investment of $8,935,743.

Also, the ministry announced that it was already published the information on a new bid process for choosing the company that would be in charge of the repair seven more roads for the investment of $5,941,467.

Finally, the ministry confirmed the final stage of the design of another project and the opening of a competition to choose the company that would be in charge of the repair of 18 more roads with an investment of $20,926,800.

"The projects of the Cantonal Road Network Program are designed by region. In this way, the government guarantees that the competing  companies have the technical and financial capacity to complete the works," said the ministry in its statement.

As A.M. Costa Rica reported July 22, the minister also is seeking the company that will be in charge of work on 50 kilometers of highway in Puntarenas*.

The ministry announced  July 19 the process for the construction of expansion and repairs of 47 kilometers of road in the province of Puntarenas.

Méndez-Mata said then that  he expects to choose for the company that will be in charge of the works this year and then for repairs to begin in 2020.

"We had already tendered this 50-kilometer stretch in two sections, but we had to cancel this process because the works were getting more expensive without generating any added value," said Mendez.

Among other improvements, the works of the extension and repairs will include:

- Expansion from two to four lanes.

- Construction of intersections in five places.

- Construction of ramps.

- Demolition and reconstruction of bridges.

- Construction of pedestrian crossings and steps of wildlife.

The amount of the total construction will not be known until the company is chosen, said the ministry. Regardless of the amount estimated by the government, the cost will be financed by a loan to the Inter-American Development Bank.

For more information on these deals, the ministry can be reached at (506) 2523-2000.




-----------------------
Do you know of any other route that needs repairs in your community?
We would like to know your thoughts on this story. Send your comments to: news@amcostarica.com






















hotelrestaurant103017.jpg