The new clinic provides services as general medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, nursing, minor surgery, emergency room, among others.
- Social Security photo -
Published Tuesday, October 13, 2020
New $14.5 million community
clinic opens in Heredia
By the A.M. Costa Rica staff
On Monday, a new community clinic, valued at $14.5 million, inaugurated in the San Isidro Canton in Heredia Province, Social Security announced.
According to Jorge Granados Soto, Social Security infrastructure manager, the clinic has a construction area of 4,855 square meters. There are providing services as general medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, nursing, minor surgery, emergency room, among others. Patients from the communities of San Isidro and San Francisco in Heredia Province will be attended there.
Recently, the Social Security announced a $207,127,000 Contingency Fund, so-called Health Emergency Fund. The money guarantees the provision of health services for covid-19 patients during the pandemic until the first months of 2021.
Originally, the reserve was budgeted at approximately $74,565,720. It later tacked on an additional budget of approximately $132,561,280, for a total of about $207,127,000.
It seems as though there will be more money added to the fund, as the Comptroller General is analyzing an additional budget of approximately $66,280,640. If the budget is approved, Social Security will have secured more than $273.4 million for the Emergency Fund.
In addition to what they already have, the costs still need to be covered for the operating expenses of Social Security during the health crisis caused by the pandemic, so there’s an additional request to increase the budget by approximately $20,712,700. If all funding comes through, the Social Security Contingency Fund for Costa Rica will be just short of $300 million, at $294.12 million.
According to Social Security, approximately $123,833,776 has been spent from what was allocated to the emergency fund, approximately 87.9% of the initial budget.
This pandemic has left countries in the race to develop all the possible strategies to contain the virus, yet no one has been able to avoid the increase of infections, because of its high capacity of contagion.
On Monday, the Ministry of Health reported the following updated statistics of the virus contagion in the country:
• 733 new covid-19 cases, bringing the total to 34,868 active cases.
• 15,154 foreign-born people have been infected with a total of 89,223 cases since March, approximately 17% of the total cases. Of these, authorities confirmed the death of 32 foreign-born patients.
• 572 patients are being treated in public hospitals, where 185 patients are in ICU’s in delicate health conditions (ages range from a 1-year-old baby to an 86-year-old person). And 387 patients are in recovery rooms. The majority of the rest of the infected patients are quarantined in their homes.
• 53,247 coronavirus patients have fully recovered, which is a 59.7% recovery rate of the total cases since March.
• 157,054 people have been ruled out.
• 262,281 medical covid-19 tests have been made.
• 1,108 deaths of people infected with covid-19, approximately 1.2% death rate of the total cases since March. Of these 411 women and 697 men. The ages range from 18 to a 100-year-old person.
Readers can see the updated number of total patients in each district at the National Distance Education University on its Covid-19 Map.
As of Monday night, the pandemic has killed 1,078,868 patients worldwide, according to recent statistics reported by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
Where else should Social Security open a clinic for covid-19 patients? We would like to know your thoughts on this story. Send your comments to email@example.com