Published Thursday, April 29, 2021
By the A.M. Costa Rica staff
On Wednesday, the Costa Rican Petroleum Refinery (RECOPE), a public organization in charge of importing and distributing fuels in the country, announced the opening of a tender for the construction of a new Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) distribution plant, in Barranca Canton, Puntarenas Province.Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), is a flammable mixture of hydrocarbon gases such as propane and butane, used as fuel in heating appliances, cooking equipment, vehicles, aerosol propellant and refrigerant.The cost of the project was budgeted at $234 million, of which Recope will cover 42% and the remaining 58% will be paid with a bank loan. It has not yet been determined which bank will finance the project.According to Recope, the project, named "Terminal Pacífico," will provide the country with another gas supply point to guarantee the distribution of gas. Currently, the organization has one plant in Moín Canton, Limón Province.
The plan also includes the construction of a port for the receipt of shipments of diesel and gasoline during times of bad weather or other events that cause problems in the transportation of gas throughout the country.
Currently, the entire gas reserve is kept at the Moín plant. From there, the gas is delivered to the distributors throughout the country.
The construction plan includes a single point mooring, which will be linked to two submarine pipelines of approximately three miles, connected to land via a pipeline and a diesel line and a liquefied petroleum gas line. The gas will then be downloaded at the new Barranca plant.
The plan includes four sphere-type storage tanks to store 25,000 barrels of gas. The Diesel and Gasoline will be stored in another 50,000 barrels tank.
According to Recope,extensive studies were carried out on the land, construction process, cost and the benefit that the plant will produce to the country's economy.
It is estimated that the Puntarenas Gas Plant will be inaugurated in 2024.
Should the government borrow from an international bank to cover the costs of this plan? We would like to know your thoughts on this story. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org