The Star Breeze of Windstar Cruise Line company cruise arrived at 5:45 a.m. today.
- Casa Presidencial photo -



























Published on Thursday, September 2, 2021
By the A.M. Costa Rica staff

The arrival of the first cruise of the 2021-2022 season is scheduled to arrive today at Golfito Port, Puntarenas Province, announced the Pacific Ports Institute.



The Star Breeze of Windstar Cruise Line company cruise arrived at 5:45 a.m. today in Costa Rica bringing in approximately 132 passengers plus its crew.

According to the institute, for this season there are already 10 cruise ships scheduled to arrive in Golfito Port. "What allows reopening this tourist activity is that it is of great importance for the economy of the coastal regions," Juan Ramón Rivera, president of the institute said.

In the case of the Caribbean Coast, the first cruise could arrive as soon as November, according to Japdeva, the organization in charge of managing the port in Limón Province.

According to the Ministry of Health, tourists and crew must follow strict sanitary guidelines to avoid contagion of covid-19, such as at least 95% of travelers must be fully vaccinated against covid-19, which includes the crew. The remaining 5% must be children who don't yet have access to a vaccine. The U.S. is vaccinating kids over the age of 12 with the Pfizer vaccine.

Passengers planning to explore Costa Rica and debark must fill out the Health Pass web-form 72 hours before their arrival, according to the institute.

The tourist-filled cruise lines announced to arrive during the season are: Windstar, Lindblad, Sea Cloud, Seabourn Quest, Celebrity Millenium, Carnival Pride, Crown Princess, Diamond Princess and Seven Seas Mariner.

With the reopening of operations, the country gradually recovers the income generated by this industry, which was estimated at approximately $33 million annually, according to data before the pandemic. The cruise tourist spent an average of $137, according to the Tourism Institute statistics.

The reopening of the port to cruise lines will reinvigorate the tourism sector since its shutdown in March 2020 following the National Decree of Health Emergency for the covid-19.

Prior to port closures, 197 cruise ships had arrived in the country, with more than 230,000 tourists, according to the institute.

In the 2018-2019 season, 263 cruise ships arrived in the country with more than 240,000 tourists. Of these, 151 cruise ships arrived at Pacific ports, with more than 130,000 tourists. The rest arrived at Caribbean ports with more than 110,000 tourists.



In January, the government announced a Presidential Decree to allows yacht and sailboat crews to enter the country by sea without having to meet the necessary visa requirement.



-------------
What other tourist activity should the government authorize to reopen? We would like to know your thoughts on this story. Send your comments to news@amcostarica.com








hotelrestaurant103017.jpg
















































































Facebook110217.jpg twitter110217.jpg
Subscribe110217.jpg