A.M. COSTA RICA Your English language news source since 2001

Find the latest news in Costa Rica

Real Estate  /  Rentals  /  Hotels  /  Professional Services Classifieds  / Garden  Restaurants / Tourism  / Culture & Lifestyle  /  Food   / Sports   / BusinessHealth /
Wild Costa Rica



























Costa Rica launches e-waste campaign



You Might
Also Like











































 






















 















Published on Monday, March 11, 2024
By the A.M. Costa Rica staff

 



Volunteers from the waste electrical and electronic equipment campaign, widely known as e-waste, will help to adequately dispose of that trash.

The program in Costa Rica called RAEE, collects this type of waste such as monitors, screens, small appliances, audio equipment, video cameras, electronic games, power tools, modems, data phones and printers among many others.

This type of waste requires special handling since it contains polluting and dangerous materials for the health of people and the environment.




With the help of an online map on the ministry website, people interested in donating their waste will be able to visit official RAEE facilities.


Garbage collection centers are in all provinces and receive waste from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Some of these sites are open on weekends as well.


According to authorities, in 2023 about 70 thousand tons of electrical and electronic waste were registered. Of these, only 10% is recycled and the remaining 90% is thrown away with ordinary waste.


"This makes it impossible to be certain of how much this type of garbage is disposed of correctly and how much is abandoned in landfills or in water sources, which puts health and the environment at risk," the ministry said in its statement.

 


---------

What have you heard about e-waste collection campaigns in your community? We would like to know your thoughts on this story. Send your comments to news@amcostarica.com




Professional's services and business

 









Spanish Lessons


















U.S. Income Tax & Accounting























Real Estate Agents






































Nonprofit Organizations


















Car Rental











Sports Academy











Dental Services