Published Thursday, May 21, 2020

Specialists doubt sudden deaths
caused by pneumonia in Nicaragua

By the A.M. Costa Rica wire services

Deaths from pneumonia in Nicaragua have increased by more than 50% according to data presented by President Daniel Ortega, who confirmed that in the past few days 309 people have died in the country from this disease, reported Voice of America Journal.

According to VOA, the figures presented by Ortega increase doubts among the population, who face the pandemic with lack of official information. Nicaragua is in the only country in the region that has not taken preventive measures such as quarantine, border closures or suspension of classes, among many others.

The pulmonologist Jorge Iván Miranda, from the Nicaraguan Association of Pneumology, differs from the official figures.

"Although the government does not test these patients who die from pneumonia this season, all excess death from pneumonia is due to the coronavirus," said Miranda.

According to Miranda, Nicaragua is not in the highest stage where cases of pneumonia are registered. "In this country, winter is entering, and we are just beginning and we have an excess of deaths of more than two hundred, at a time when it is not normal for people to die of pneumonia and in the context of a pandemic all those pneumonia can be attributed to the coronavirus, all of them.”

The Nicaraguan Ministry of Health reported 86 deaths from pneumonia as of May 2, which means that 223 deaths were not counted in the official statistics. Experts ask if this data is current or will they be part of the statistics in the next ministry report.

Miranda believes that the growing number of pneumonia cases is due to the government's desire to provide "a false impression" of keeping the covid-19 pandemic under control.

"What is the virus that is causing problems right now? Well, covid-19. It's that simple," he said.

The Nicaraguan Association of Pulmonology has questioned the "deliberate" way in which the government does not correctly diagnose cases of covid-19, mentioning that the Ortega government only recognized that some deaths are related to the coronavirus.

"At this time linked to the coronavirus, there are many deaths from pneumonia, because the person already suffered, was in a state inclined to suffering from pneumonia. In 2020 we have 309 deaths from pneumonia, some of them surely have to do with this pandemic," Ortega said during a public appearance.

The Nicaraguan Ministry of Health raised the numbers of covid-19 infected patients from 25 to 254 registered in the last week, reporting nine deaths for a total of 17 deaths from the coronavirus.

The government also reported 199 people recovered.

In these last two weeks, specialists have said that the country is in the community transmission phase, thus initiating the exponential increase of infections, implying multiple outbreaks.

The Ortega administration continues to deny an outbreak as loved one’s of those that have died from “pneumonia” cannot bury their dead. Although their death certificates state they died of "atypical pneumonia" people were buried with the same requirements as those that have died from the virus.

The Pan American Health Organization, PAHO, which has expressed concern about the situation and management of the pandemic in Nicaragua, has said that there is interest in visiting the country.

"The Pan American Health Organization has reiterated its request to Nicaragua to be able to visit the country and analyze the situation experienced by the coronavirus and provide better cooperation," said the international organization.

PAHO expects a response to that request by the Nicaraguan authorities.





---------------------
Should the Nicaraguan government accept the visit of international specialists to avoid the increase in cases of covid-19 in the country?  We would like to know your thoughts on this story. Send your comments to news@amcostarica.com
..

hotelrestaurant103017.jpg